THOMAS AND THE MAGIC RAILROAD: THE LOST EDITION
The Thomas and the Magic Railroad Lost Edition Campaign is a fan operated campaign supporting the original director’s cut release of the 2000 feature film Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Restore The Magic has served as the leader of this campaign and has tremendously progressed the movement over the last several months, including the acquisition of the large scale Lady prop from the film.
In July 2000, Thomas and the Magic Railroad was theatrically released to mixed-negative reviews and did not return on investment as predicted. Unfair blame and harsh criticism was placed on the movie’s Director and Writer, Britt Allcroft (Creator of the Television Series), in terms of the story’s writing style and structure. Seven years later, it was discovered through several leaked scripts that huge edits were made, including character eliminations, abandoned plot points, and recasting several voice actors, prior to the movie being theatrically released. This was due to a very poor test audience screening in the United States. From there, producers and studio executives decided to make these major edits against the will of the creative team behind the motion picture. Over the last several years, fans have united to show their support in discovering the lost footage and restoring the magic to Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
Here are some of our Restore The Magic leaders and supporters explaining the campaign!
LOST EDITION FAQs
- Who is Thomas the Tank Engine?
- Thomas the Tank Engine a small blue tank engine that has been a favorite of children and adults for over 70 years. Thomas has puffed into the hearts of everyone through various media, including books, television, film, music, apps, games, live events, and so much more. His cheeky personality and memorable situations allow children to learn the values of friendship, compassion, teamwork, and other qualities that make Thomas and his friends “really useful engines.”
- Who is Britt Allcroft?
- Britt Allcroft is the Award-Winning Creator of Thomas and Friends and Shining Time Station. After an interview and meeting the Railway Series Creator, Rev. W. Awdry, she and her amazing creative team went on to create the television adaptation of Awdry’s beloved book series. Britt served as Executive Producer and Writer for several seasons of the series.
- What Is Thomas and the Magic Railroad?
- In 2000, Thomas and his friends made their first theatrical appearance in Thomas and the Magic Railroad. The film was written and directed by Britt Allcroft and combined elements from both Thomas and Friends and Shining Time Station.
- Where can I see Thomas and the Magic Railroad?
- The theatrical release of Thomas and the Magic Railroad can be purchased at local retail stores, online retailers, and it is digitally available for download. To purchase a DVD of the movie, click here.
- What is Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition?
- In 2007, a very different version of the script was discovered online. After much speculation, Britt Allcroft confirmed that there was an alternate version of the movie that was filmed, but due to a poor test audience screening, the executive producers made the decision to re-edit the entire film a few weeks before the the official movie premiere. This edit deleted several characters, recast voice actors, and ultimately created an story that was not cohesive which the audience could not understand or appreciate. These factors lead to the movie receiving mixed to negative reviews.
- Where can I see Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition?
- Unfortunately, there is no edit of this version available at this time.
- Do you have a copy of Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition that I can watch?
- Nobody involved with Restore The Magic has seen the Lost Edition, nor does anyone on our team possess a copy of this film.
- When will Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition premiere?
- homas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition has no scheduled release date at this time. A release date can be anticipated once a full edit has been made, restoring the original edit of the film.
- Can I watch any of the footage that has already been found?
- Unfortunately, the footage that has been found is incomplete and therefore not viewable at this time.
- How can I help get Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition available for public viewing?
- There are several tasks you can complete in order to assist! First, sign the petition. This will show in numbers how many people are interested in seeing this cut of the film. After that, check out our Social Media accounts to assist in spreading the word about the campaign. Contact our leaders for more information on how you can get involved as a volunteer!
- Can I contact Mattel, HIT Entertainment, Sony, or other companies asking about Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition?
- Please DO NOT contact any companies on your own. We appreciate your dedication to the cause, but these companies should not be contacted by any individuals. Various companies, including Mattel, are aware of the Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Lost Edition Campaign and our goals. Individual efforts have been attempted in the past and have been unsuccessful. By combining all of our efforts and talents, this campaign will have a significantly better chance of succeeding.
WANT TO ASSIST IN THE LOST EDITION CAMPAIGN?
What Can I Do to Help? There are several ways to assist and help in this campaign.
- SIGN OUR PETITION– Studio Executives are only interested in releasing films if there is an interested audience. Our current goal is to reach 5,000 signatures on our petition. Thomas has been a strong influence for over 70 years, so we as a fan-base need to come together to show an interest.
- JOIN ALL OF OUR SOCIAL MEDIA– Listed at the bottom of the page are all of our social media accounts. Through these, you can LIKE, SHARE, SUBSCRIBE, and SUPPORT all of our efforts across all platforms on the internet.
- USE OUR HASHTAGS– Hashtags make it easier for people to find similar links and information based on specific subject matter. The two hashtags associated with Restore the Magic are #RestoreTheMagic and #MagicRailroadOriginal. Use these hashtags when discussing the project.
- SHARE YOUR TALENTS WITH US– Fans can have a huge influence on the outcome of a project. Share your fan creations with us! Some of your pictures, artwork, stories, and videos could be shared through our social media accounts and website!
- READ THE SCRIPTS– Familiarize yourself with the original drafts of the scripts, which can be downloaded here on our site! Here are the links to the May 1999 script and the August 1999 script! These scripts are provided to you free by Restore The Magic to encourage further supported efforts for the film’s release.
- VOLUNTEER– We are always on the lookout for talented volunteers to assist in the various aspects of the campaign. Contact our leaders for more information on how you can get involved as a volunteer!
- FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS– It is imperative that all directions are followed in order to have a successful campaign!
What Should I NOT Do? There are some items you should REFRAIN from doing.
- CONTACT STUDIOS YOURSELF– This is something the Restore the Magic Leads ONLY should be doing. Studio Executives and other major company higher-ups greatly dislike being swamped with a multitude of emails. In fact, they view it as spam. In order to make this a successful project, please let our project leads take care of this.
- BOMBARD FANS– If you invite someone to join in the campaign and they are not interested, please do not continue to insist that they do. This will only cause confusion and delay.
GALLERY: COMING SOON!
READY TO SIGN THE PETITION?